This Safeguarding policy applies to the Friends Group Committee Members, Volunteers who help maintain garden and/or run activities and events at the garden, and individuals or organisations who (voluntary or commissioned) carry out activities and events at the garden.
1. The Garden Group’s activities do not involve working or otherwise coming into contact with children who are not with an adult carer.
2. The Garden Group’s activities are not regulated activities within the meaning of Safeguarding Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 and garden group members and other volunteers are not subject to DBS checks.
3. Nonetheless, we recognise that safeguarding children and vulnerable adults is vital and that as group members we have a duty of care towards any children and vulnerable adults who use the garden.
4. We are committed to the principle that all children and vulnerable adults without exception have the right to protection from abuse regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or beliefs.
5. The garden does not employ paid staff – but it does have members and other volunteers. Their responsibilities are to ensure the health and safety of the environment and to manage the garden in line with the objectives referred to above, and our volunteer policy.
6. At no time are garden group members or other volunteers permitted to take responsibility for the care of children or vulnerable adults.
7. Children are not allowed to use the garden unless accompanied by an adult carer.
8. Where the garden contracts for services (for example ground work at the site), at no time are contractors required or permitted to take any responsibility for the care of children or vulnerable adults whilst working for the garden group.
9. In the event that- notwithstanding the above- any concerns about the welfare of children or vulnerable adults are raised, the garden group members are committed to working with all relevant agencies to take taking appropriate actions, working to agreed local policies and procedures and legal requirements.
10. This policy will be reviewed annually, or more frequently if necessary.